THE CHURCH IS PEOPLE
- Not everyone who makes the claim is part of the Church
Many entities which call themselves church, are not. Because the people in them are not born again, have never truly believed in Christ, and have no concept of salvation. They may have some vocabulary, but there is no reality.
2. The Church is the people not the building.
If this had been understood, then we would never have had the error of venerating a building as being the church or as being ‘the house of God’. The church is the people, not the building. A building is something just there for our convenience; it is not sacred. Neither is any particular location in the building sacred.
Having special clothes or an unnatural manner or a peculiar way of speaking, or a strange accent when in a church meeting is a wrong position; those are also subtle replications of Catholic error; it is focusing on something outward rather than inward, on presentation rather than substance, and frequently ends up making the church look ridiculous in the eyes of sensible people. We need to move away from those things towards positions of reality.
3. Building Church means building people
When we talk about building the church, we are talking about building people. When Jesus said, “I will build my church”, he was talking about building people, not buildings, not programmes, not attracting large crowds, or having large offerings. All these may be good and useful but they are not in themselves evidence of true building. And yet we know that often when people talk about success in building a ministry or building a church, this is in practice how building is evaluated.
What does building people mean?
Ephesians 4:12-13 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. NIV
- If people are moving towards the unity of the faith – that would be increasing revelation, understanding, and implementation of truth in their lives, then they are being built.
- If they have increasing knowledge of God and understanding of His ways then they are being built.
- If they are becoming more mature, with greater patience, joy, faith, and spiritual strength then they are being built.
- If they are attaining to the character of Christ then they are being built.
- If they are more able to carry out the purpose of God then they are being built.
- If people are just getting an emotional
high every meeting, and yet not growing in maturity and knowledge of God, they are not being built.
- Judging by these criteria a lot of ministries which we see around us is not building the church. The basic understanding that the church is people have been lost, and have been replaced by the idea that the church is popular or financially rewarded preaching, or a large organization, or an organization rich in fixed assets.
Being built is being increasingly conformed to the likeness of Christ.
DEFINING LOVE FOR THE BODY OF CHRIST
- Biblical love is not an earthly emotional state.
- 1 Corinthians 13:1-3,8—13 New Living Translation
“If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;* but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages* and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! 9 Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! 10 But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.
11 When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 12 Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.* All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.
13 Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.”
- So Biblical love is powerful. It is not earthly, emotional and it is not birthed from soul.
- Love for the Body of Christ is a revelation position not just an emotional position. It is a function primarily of the spirit and not of the soul. You cannot love without spiritual understanding.
- We are not required to love Christianity.
- The structure of the religion called Christianity is a different structure from the entity that is called the Body of Christ or Church.
- What we are required to love deeply is not what our eyes see on the earth manifested before us – not what our minds identifies as the reality of church religion but what the Word of God describes as the reality of the Body of Christ.
Matthew 16:18-19 NIV
“18 And I tell you that you are Peter, c and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades d will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be f bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be g loosed in heaven.”
Colossians 1:18 NIV
“And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.”
- He Himself is actively building it.
- You cannot consider the Body of Christ without considering Christ.
- You cannot speak of the Body of Christ without speaking of what Christ Himself is built!
- You cannot love Christ without loving His Body. Dr. N. Woodroffe
The church is people. Not tangible building structure and not human philosophy.
People need to be built from the inside out and not from the outside in.
I trust you enjoyed the reading and now you have new perspective about the church.
Like it, comment on it, share with others and my posts.
You can also visit these site: